Кrušedol Monastery, with the church dedicated to the Annunciation to the Blessed Virgin Mary, is situated in a valley between the former monastery village (Prnjavor) and Krušedol village.
The Monastery with the church as a burial site was founded (1509 -1516) as the legacy of the Serbian Despot family Branković, who lived in Hungary after the Turkish conquest of the area between the Sava and the Danube rivers. The founder of the Monastery was the Bishop Maksim Branković (Despot Đorđe prior to taking his vows as a monk) with his patrons, especially the Duke Đorđe Jovan Basaraba. In this memorial building the remains of those members of the Branković family whose lives were so deeply committed to the Christian faith that they deserved the halo of saints were preserved. These are Saint Stefan the Blind, Saint Despot Jovan, the Venerable Mother Angelina and her son, Bishop Maxim. The cult of the last Serbian despots ensured that the Krušedol Monastery received, and maintained, the highest rank among the Fruška Gora monasteries. Unfortunately, the relics of the saints were destroyed in 1716 when the Turks retreated in front of the Austrian army, sacking many villages and monastic communities as they fled. Arsenije III Čarnojević, Count Georgije Branković, Duke Stevan Šupljikac, Colonel Atanasije Rašković, Princess Ljubica Obrenović and King Milan Obrenović were buried in the monastery. The church was built in the spirit of late Byzantine architecture, but the original appearance has not been fully preserved. The ground plan of the temple is in the form of a trefoil, the altar and choir apses are semicircular, inside and out, and vaulted with demi-calottes. The vaults of the nave are barrel-shaped. Four strong chamfered columns with rectangular cross-section support wide semicircular arches underneath the dome. Dormitories surround the monastery from all four sides. They are partially one-storey buildings, and partially ground–floor buildings on the elevated basement. They are solidly built out of brick and mortar, with massive walls, shaped as barrel and cruciform vaults. The monastery church is covered with frescoes: the narthex was painted in 1543 and the nave, cupola and altar apse from 1545 to 1546, during the time of Hegumenos Joanikije. Furnishings were added over its five centuries of existence. The iconostasis contains icons from the 14th to 19th century, and the oldest icon, the Deisis, dates from 1512. The Throne icons are the work of Jova Vasilijević from the period 1745-1750, and the icons on the socle date from the early 19th century. The choirs were created around 1745. The Thrones for relics of the Holy Branković family date back to 1759 and the Archbishop’s Throne was donated and painted by Dimitrije Bačević in 1765. Krušedol Monastery, with its architectural and historical value, multi-layered paintings, rich treasury and library, represents the most valuable complex testifying to the culture and spirituality of the Serbian people in this region.