This hiking trail goes trough natural and cultural heritage of the Fruška gora National Park.
Fruška Gora is a mountain range located in the southwestern part of Vojvodina, in northern Serbia, between the Danube and Sava rivers. Due to its natural, cultural and historical significance, it was declared a national park in 1960 and is the oldest in Serbia. Although there are only a few peaks higher than 500 meters (the highest peak, Crveni Čot at 539 meters), it represents a dominant geomorphological complex in the mostly lowland and monotonous landscape of the Vojvodina region. In addition to its geomorphological significance, this mountain represents the largest formation of geological and pedological diversity in the Pannonian area of Serbia. In the west-east direction, it has a length of about 80 km and covers approximately an area of 255 km². The lower parts of this mountain are characterized by meadows, wheat fields and vineyards, while the higher parts are covered with dense deciduous forests of linden, hornbeam, oak, maple and other trees. It is one of the largest areas under linden forests in Europe, known for its hiking trails. Fruška Gora is also called The Holy Mountain or Serbian Athos, because in the period from the 15th to the 18th century, 35 Serbian Orthodox monasteries were built, of which 16 are preserved today
Some of the stoping points are shown here.
Stražilovo is a peak on Fruška Gora, above Sremski Karlovci. It is a famous excursion site above this historical settlement, where there is a monument of the great Serbian poet Branko Radičević.
There is also a building “Brankov Čardak” with a restaurant, as well as a mountain lodge “Stražilovo” which offers many opportunities when it comes to hiking, running and mountain biking, with many well-m
arked hiking trails and roads.
Since 1883 the grave of Branko Radičević has been located on Branko’s High. He was a Serbian poet from the romanticism era and a student of the Karlovac Gymnasium, the oldest Serbian gymnasium. In 1885, a stone multi-part “colossal pyramid” was placed there. Radičević, like many other students at this school, spent his free time on Stražilovo which was the subject of inspiration in his poetry.
Paleontological site Grgeteg. The site is located on the southern slope of Fruska Gora, on the left bank of the Luka stream, right next to the Grgeteg Monastery. On this profile, sediments of sarmat, pannon and upper ponto were discovered. Numerous caspibrake fauna of molluscs has been discovered, thoroughly processed and studied, on the basis of which over 40 species have been identified, 12 of which for the first time. Because of all its value, this site was placed under the protection of the state in 1973 as a Monument of Nature.
This women’s monastery is located above the village of the same name next to the dense Fruška Gora forest. Legend has it that the Grgeteg Monastery with the Church of St. Nicholas was founded by the Zmaj Ognjeni Vuk for his blind father back in the 15th century. The old stone church was replaced in the 18th century by a Baroque building.
The iconostasis was also painted in 1902 by Uroš Predić, a famous Serbian painter.